In this
post, I will be discussing an article that touches on one of Efrat’s points
regarding intangible assets in the S&P 500.
Below is the link to the article that I will be touching on.
As Efrat showed in her presentation, as well
as the chart I’ve included below, the amount of intangible assets in the US
market has dramatically increased over time.
From 1975
til the present day, intangible assets have increase from 17% to 84%. That’s almost a 500% increase over a 40 year
period. In this context, I use the term “intangible
assets” as a way to describe things that will bring a future economic value
that do not exist in physical space. A
perfect example to this is the value of intellectual property, such as
copyrights and patents. However, this
article touches on different aspects than intellectual property, but that of
human capital.
Milton Friedman,
one of the most renowned economists in history, claimed that “total wealth
includes all sources of ‘income’. One such source is the productive capacity of
human beings.” Instead of focusing on
the actual values of patents themselves, I want to focus on the aspect of human
capital. Patents don’t just become filed
and granted out of thin air, it takes brilliant minds to think of and develop
some of the ideas that eventually become patented. Aside from the large costs of R&D, the
compensation paid to personnel such as developers, lawyers, etc. far exceed the
tangible costs of developing a product.
The article
goes further in depth on human capital but I prefer to end my discussion where I
have. The rise of the value intangible
assets in the market shows the level of innovation we are arising to. With more and more innovators and developers
attempting to patent their ideas, I would not be surprised to see the 84% rise
even further over the next few years. What
do you think?

Hi Jason,
ReplyDeleteYou have constantly provided great work throughout this semester. Whenever I read your blog posts I learn new things from your opinions and analyses on various topics. The analysis on intangible assets was fantastic, and really helped provide insight into how companies are turning away from physical assets and pursuing intellectual property.
Best,
Paras Majmundar