So for this
patent, I imagine the inventor loved to be out at the beach, relaxing, and
drinking a beer. But while he was sun
tanning, he didn’t want his beer to do the same. So instead of having his ice cold bottle of beer
sitting in direct sunlight causing its temperature to rise, he came up with the
idea to invent a shade for this bottle of beer.
As you can
see by the diagram shown, the idea of the invention is pretty
straightforward. There is an umbrella type
shade attached to a pole that has a C-shaped clamp to it. The clamp goes around the bottle and causes the
shade to be over the beer. With that,
your beer is now in the shade and staying out of the way of the sun’s
warmth.
For this
patent, I want to take a closer look at how the inventor developed the
idea. In the patent document, the
inventors reference 16 other patents to distinguish just how novel their idea
is. The one that comes closes to denying this
patent for similarity to a prior art is to the beverage shader. Looking further into that patent, there is only
a slight difference that the inventors of the beerbrella made. The beverage shader was only the use of an
umbrella to shade a drink whereas the beerbrella uses a coozie or other
beverage insulating materials to keep the beer cold as well. The beerbrella not only keeps the warm away,
but also keeps the coolness in the beer container. It’s not the most obvious or most needed
invention in the world, but it’s still a patent. I’m more than positive there is someone using
this as we speak.
Check back
for my next post about another wacky invention.
Thanks!

Hi Jason,
ReplyDeleteNice example and good explanation about the technology and how/why it would be used. Would have liked to see more analysis about the validity of the patent as well. You mentioned that even though it is not particularly useful it is "still a patent." Do you think it should be based on the patent law?
Hey Jason!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post! This is a super funny invention and I agree with you, someone probably is using the beer umbrella right now! Its amazing what some people will buy these days in the US and Im sure Sky mall and tv ads sold plenty of these!
I like the fact that you included the picture as well for easier visualization!
Hi Jason,
ReplyDeleteI used the Beerbrella as well as one of my silly patents and I slightly disagree with you that the science behind this will actually keep your beers chilled. It just seems to be a device that deflects sun rays and has no other purpose. Really in my belief, this is just an ornament, but its unique nature and purpose makes it a patentable invention. Nonetheless, this patent is valid due to the novelty and I thought you made some great points in terms of comparing this to the prior art and highlighting how the inventor really wanted to emphasize what made this so different.
Hey Jason,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this silly patent! I think it definitely is creative and someone must have a use for this to keep their beer cool! You could have added some more analysis but I like that you shared your opinion in a clear and concise manner! Good job :)
Jason,
ReplyDeleteHilarious post regarding the Beerbrella! Loved the idea, and I agree that it isn't the most functional of inventions. However, I do think it has great comedic value, and I can definitely see this being used as a gift for friends or family. In the future, I would love to see a few more graphics in your post, but I think you did a fantastic job overall!
Best,
Anish